See the following PDF files for information about getting started on the 2015 Trip to Washington, D.C.
Hello Orchestra Parents and Students (Including Wind/Perc. Players in Symphony):
Due to the snow week and early Music Festival performance times, we are having a Spring Pre-Contest Concert in the PAC at Lee’s Summit West at 7:30pm on Tuesday March 25th.
We are having a 7:30 start time so that we will conflict as little as possible with a Titan Harmony choral rehearsal that is scheduled for that evening.
There is a 7pm call time for all orchestras.
The groups playing are:
We will be performing our contest pieces. Please come here this amazing music. The concert will not be long.
Hope you are all enjoying this weather while it lasts.
1. Our next fundraiser was offered to you child today. It will end on March 19 and will be delivered before Easter. They can make a guaranteed 40% on each item sold. There are some amazing gifts in the brochure. A letter is attached which explains more about the fundraiser. LSW MUSICko letter
2. Sarpino’s fundraiser went well. I am planning on more give back nights throughout the school year.
3. Next fundraiser, we will be selling trash bags April 7-21. More info to come
4. We have been offered the opportunity to work the concessions at the Kansas Speedway in May. Great opportunity for us to raise money . I will have more on this in the upcoming months.
ALL FUNDRAISERS ARE OPTIONAL!!
As always please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
LSW Music Fundraiser Liaison
Points of update for this month!
- Summer school registration – for many, it is crucial to take summer school to free up space in their schedule for additional classes. Registration recently opened this week. Please register now. Take PE, or Personal Finance, or Health, etc……
- Physicals for next year – all marching band members for 2014 need a current physical exam on file that was given AFTER February 1st. You can start this process now, but it NEEDS to be done before your child’s first day of band this summer. There are physical exams being given at the school district NEXT Saturday. Please contact Monte Seabaugh or Debbie Katzfey for more information.
- Basketball Game performance – a reminder that students need to be at school on Tuesday night for our performance at the LSW basketball game. Our call time is 6:30pm. Students should be wearing blue jeans and Titan Pride apparel on top. We should be finished about 8:30pm, maybe earlier, but students will text parents in the 4th quarter.
- PIZZA NIGHT – On Monday night, Sarpino’s Pizza in Lee’s Summit is giving us 10% of the proceeds for delivery or carryout orders from 4pm to 9pm. Please eat your dinner there Monday night. Here is a flyer for you to hand out to your neighbors as well.
- Solo/Small Ensemble Contest – Students are currently being registered for one of two contests to perform their solo or small ensemble performance that is required for our class. Some students will be registered for District Solo/Ensemble Contest on March 22nd (students who earn a 1 rating here will move on to State Contest on May 2nd). Some students will be registered for Lee’s Summit Contest on April 8th, which satisfies the class and letter requirement, but does not make them eligible for State. Students are fully aware how/why these decisions are made
- Washington DC Trip 2015 – We ARE going on the trip next March. Students who are already registered for the trip need to stay current on their payments (there was a $100 payment due on February 15th and another $100 payment due on March 15th). Attached is a registration form which, if you have not already done so, must be filled out and either turned into the directors by Monday, or mailed into the company right away. Students who have not signed up to go on the trip yet, but are still interested, please contact me for more information about how we can make this happen: Individual Registration Form – Lee’s Summit
- Percussionists continuing in band next year – Attached you will find the information/dates for this year’s audition clinics and audition date. They begin NEXT Wednesday. Drumline Clinic Schedule.docx
Have a great weekend!
Here are the assignments for Variation Overture:
Here are the playing test assignments for Three Ayres:
Here are the assignments for Three Ayres playing test:
Our next fundraiser is a give back night at Sarpino’s Pizza. This is for all sales from 4-9pm Monday, February 24. Let’s get the word out to everyone. Sarpino’s Pizza is great! Please note, they only provide delivery or carry out.
Attached is a flier for you to either hand out, post at work, put on Facebook etc…
Customers DO NOT need the flier or to even mention our names. We will still get credit for it!
Here’s the playing test assignments for Variation Overture Test #1:
Dear Parents and Students:
Due to the loss of this week of school, the Concert Choir Auditions previously scheduled for this Saturday, Feb. 8, ARE NOW RESCHEDULED FOR NEXT SATURDAY, Feb. 15th. Students may sign up for their audition time on Monday, when classes have resumed. If a student is unable to audition on Feb. 15th, I will be available for audition appointments next Wednesday and Thursday.
Thank you for your flexibility and understanding. Please help me spread the word to those who may not be checking email.
Hi there! Hope you are staying warm. I can’t believe it is almost February, and yesterday we celebrated the 100th day of school. May will be here before we know it.
Washington DC Trip 2015
In case you missed our email yesterday (Tuesday) from Mr. Mosier, we are in danger of needing to cancel the trip. The staff will have to make that decision THIS Saturday based on the number of people “officially” registered for the trip. This means you have paid $50 to Music Celebrations International by Friday, January 31st at 11:59pm. The registration form itself can be taken care of later. In order to make this a viable and memorable experience for all (and to prevent a price increase), we must have enough students going for the performance to be what it can be. Please take care of this today if your child plans to go with us next spring. Here are the online payment instructions:
(See attached file: Online Payment Instructions)
As mentioned in previous emails from me, the members of the Symphonic Band, Concert Band, and Percussion Class all have WEEKLY playing tests. In Percussion Class, we do them live. In Symphonic and Concert Band, students are expected to record their tests on CHARMS. The students know how to do this. Please encourage your child to stay on top of this, as many students are forgetting to do so, and their grade is slipping quickly.
Marching Band to perform at February 25th Basketball Game.
Please add this date to your calendar to prevent work conflicts, etc….All members of the marching band are to attend and perform. Logistical information to follow.
District Solo/Ensemble Contest
This is a state organized solo and small ensemble festival that is hosted by the staff here at LSWHS. It occurs on Saturday, March 22nd for all band students. Every member of the Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and Percussion Class are required to participate as a soloist OR as a member of a small ensemble. Some students have chose to participate in both, which is great. Rules state that participants can enter two solos (on different instruments), and/or two ensembles. Currently, students are working with Mr. Harrel and I on selecting the music for this contest. Students will need to work at home and at school (before and after) to prepare. SOME class time will be devoted to this, but not enough to prepare for the contest. If the student earns a 1 rating at this contest, he/she is eligible to compete at State Solo/Ensemble Festival on Friday, May 2nd.
State Large Ensemble Contest
As mentioned in previous emails and in the band handbook (online at titanmusic.org), the Concert Band and Symphonic Band will be performing at the State Large Ensemble Contest, which is also hosted by the staff and parents here at LSWHS.
The Concert Band will perform on Wednesday, March 26 and the Symphonic Band will perform on Friday, March 28. In addition, the percussionists from the Concert/Symphonic Band are rehearsing after school on Thursdays in preparation for their performance on Wednesday, March 26.
Both of the above mentioned contests are hosted by the staff and Music Parents at LSWHS. This takes an enormous volunteer base. You should receive emails, via CHARMS, from Nancy Shaeffer concerning volunteer needs and how to sign up.
Marching Band Camp Schedule 2014
For those families with 9th-11th graders, attached you will find the marching band camp and drumline camp schedules for the upcoming season. Please get these dates in your calendar now to prevent conflicts over the summer. It is VERY important that all members are at the required camp(s) for the success of the season. Please schedule vacations and other camps around these dates. Thank you for supporting the Titan Pride Marching Band.
(See attached file: 2014 Marching Band Camp)
Have a great end to your January!
Clifton D. Thurmond